Smart Deals: Sled & Bed at Mt Philo Inn, Vermont
What’s the Deal: As an alternative to the traditional “ski and stay” packages at alpine ski resorts, the Mt. Philo Inn in Charlotte, Vermont offers a “Sled and Bed” package.
Backstory: Vermont’s oldest state park, Mt.PhiloState Park is located atop Mt.Philo. In winter, the steep and narrow road to the 968-foot summit is packed with snow and ice, creating a popular and ideal sledding environment. People of all ages hike up and sled down the 1.5-mile road. A short, private trail from the Mt. Philo Inn leads directly to the park. The Mt. Philo Inn offers four unique suites—one 2-bedroom and three 3-bedroom—each located in separate wings of the building, all with private entrances. Suites include modern kitchens fully equipped for cooking and entertaining, showers and vanities made from Danby marble quarried in Vermont, and handcrafted beds.
The Sleds: Strategically located at the base of Mt.PhiloState Park, the Mt. Philo Inn has a large collection of sleds available for hotel guests. These include:
· The Hammerhead, a Vermont-made high-tech sled (not a toy) developed and tested on Mt.PhiloState Park
· The Torpedo, the all-purpose plastic sled
· The Luge, a fast and versatile plastic variety
· An antique bobsled, two-person version
· The Flexible Flyer, the classic wood and metal sled
· An antique Toboggan, holds up to 3 people
· The Mad River Rocket, a Vermont-designed innovation for “backcountry sledding”
· The Jack Jump, this seat-mounted-on-ski is a handcrafted, Vermont original
Details: The “Sled and Bed” Package includes a two-night stay in one of the inn’s four spacious suites, unlimited use of the sleds, evening bonfire, and a “Sledding Survival” basket equipped with hot cocoa and home-made marshmallows from Daily Chocolate, organic Vermont teas, local honey from Champlain Valley Apiaries, and hand and foot warmers. After a day of sledding, guests can warm up with a Vermont Flannel stadium blanket and play board games for the quintessential Vermont winter experience.
Rates: Rates for the “Sled and Bed” package range from $256 to $592 for the two-night stay, and represent a 20% discount from existing rates.